Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:29:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@threespace.com>
To:        "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Large IDE drive Q

Most drive manufacturers qualify a megabyte as one million bytes and a
gigabyte as one billion bytes.  This allows them to inflate their numbers
slightly.  (A megabyte is really 1,048,576 bytes and a GB is really
1,073,741,824 bytes.)

FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows all use the "true" definintions when
calculating drive sizes.  Hence the smaller reported sizes.

K.S.