Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2000 09:53:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Dean <brdean@unx.sas.com>
To:        Forrest Aldrich <forrie@forrie.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Streamlining FreeBSD Installations

Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> Someone mentioned that sysinstall could be scripted... is this the way to
> go, then?

I use scripted sysinstalls here.  It's really easy, however, you still
have to interact with a few dialogs, namely:

	1) of course, you have to specify your config file from
	   the "Load Config" main menu option

	2) you need to say whether or not you want to use DHCP

	3) you need to interact with the crypto questions

	4) you need to say whether or not you want to install the ports

I think it would be worthwhile to modify sysinstall to so that you
only have to do #1 above, but I haven't found it so painful to
interact with the remaining three to submit patches to Jordan yet.
Eventually, I will probably do this, unless someone else beats me to
it.

Everything else can be automated.  Here's a sample config file that I
put together:

# scratchy.cfg
#
# FreeBSD Installation Config file for scratchy.unx.sas.com
#
# This file generated on 03/17/00 09:36:00
#

debug=yes

ipaddr=10.26.1.74
hostname=scratchy.unx.sas.com
domainname=unx.sas.com
defaultrouter=10.26.0.1
netmask=255.255.0.0

# ----- End of generated information -----

netDev=fxp0
ftp=ftp://freebsd2.unx.sas.com/pub/FreeBSD
_ftpPath=ftp://freebsd2.unx.sas.com/pub/FreeBSD
nameserver=10.16.149.6
mediaSetFTP

distSetEverything

dists=local X9set
distUnsetCustom

disk=ad0
partition=exclusive
diskPartitionEditor

# 128 Meg /root partition
ad0s1-1=ufs 262144 /

# 256 Meg swap partition
ad0s1-2=swap 524288 none

# 1 Gig /tmp partition
ad0s1-3=ufs 2097152 /tmp

# 256 Meg /var partition
ad0s1-4=ufs 524288 /var

# all remaining space for /usr partition
ad0s1-5=ufs 0 /usr

diskLabelEditor

installCommit

# pkg dir = /nfs/freebsd/pub/FreeBSD/packages/All

package=bash-2.03
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=elm-2.4ME+68
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=emacs-20.6
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=hexedit-1.1.0
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=less-352
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=linux_base-6.1
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=lsof-4.48
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=mm-1.0.12
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=netscape-communicator-4.72
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=pdksh-5.2.14
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=procmail-3.14
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=rdate-1.0
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=sudo-1.6.2p1
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=tcsh-6.09.00
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=tkcvs-6.0
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=tkdiff-3.04
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=unzip-5.40
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=xv-m17n-3.10a
noError=TRUE
packageAdd
package=zip-2.3
noError=TRUE
packageAdd

This script uses a local snap machine that we keep current and build
snaps nightly from which to do an FTP install.  I've got a script that
I use to generate these config files.  Essentially, I just specify the
machine name, and my config generatator figures out the IP address,
default router, and netmask, that is required for configuring the
ethernet interface.  Everything below the line "# ----- End of
generated information -----" is the same for all hosts, only the stuff
above that line is different for each host.  So, I end up with a
config file per host.

-Brian
--
Brian Dean				brdean@unx.sas.com