Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 1997 21:14:10 -0500
From:      ringlord@bbs.dcoisp.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   freebsd landslide.

Well, when it rains it pours.
I realize what I am about to ask is probably quite basic to all you
freebsd folks out there.  That is why if you wish to reply to me
privately instead of to the list, that is quite all right.
You have my guarantee that before I posted this question, I have gone
through what I considered to be relevant parts of the handbook and faq.
I would like to connect my newly installed freebsd 2.2.2-release box to
the internet.  Currently, I am connected to the internet via frame relay
to my isp, and have a router on a static ip address.
I have managed to have someone read me the relevant parts of the screen
so that I could get my pnp ne2000 clone ethernet card attached to my
computer out of pnp mode and set to jumperless mode.  I then configured
the card manually with the DOS setup program that comes with the card.
 The configuration is port 300 IRQ 10.  All worked well, as far as the
dos setup program is concerned.  I then rebooted my machine.  According
to  a message from Doug white, the next thing for me to do is to hit -c
at the Boot: prompt and configure the pnp addresses I had configured,
for the ed0 driver.  The person I had looking at the screen, was telling
me that they found the ed0 driver, and was able to set the
configurations to irq 10 port 300.  According to him, there were no
conflicts.  I then asked him to look at the screen to catch any boot
messages during probing.  Unfortunately, the boot messages flew by, and
he couldn't make them out.  I then went to configure my network on
interface ed0.  It asked for the gateway.  I assume gateway is the
router that is connected to my t1 line?  In any case, I typed in the ip
of my gateway: 208.128.192.225.  It then asked for the netmask:
255.255.255.224.  Then, it asked for the ip address for this interface.
I assumed it meant the ip address for the computer, so, I gave it an ip
of 208.128.192.241 which is an unused ip address on my network.  It
asked for the hostname and had an example of host.domain.name.  So I
used: twcmedia.dcoisp.net.  It then asked for my domain name:
dcoisp.net.
Keep in mind, I am still at this point trusting someone's eyes here, so
if I left anything out, please forgive me.
But every time the machine boots up, it returns an error of: gateway
208.128.192.225 network is unreachable.  What causes this?  Does it mean
that the ethernet card is still not seen?  I am unable to telnet or
rlogin into the freebsd's ip address from a remote host either on the
network or off the network.  Also, I can not do any telnetting out of
the freebsd box.  I also was under the impression that the boot messages
could be read in the syslog file?  If so, shouldn't it be in /var/log?
According to my trusted eyes, :) /var/log is not a directory on my
system.
In the handbook as well as the faq under networking, there is a lot of
talk about ppp to isp connections, and default roots, and routing
tables.  That is a bit unclear to me, obviously. :)
I am strongly considering just having someone configure this thing for
me so that I can just do a remote login to this thing and finally get
speech and all that stuff.    I know one thing, I am stopping for the
night.  I have done enough configuring, reconfiguring, and searching,
all this stuff is starting to get jumbled up in my head.
So, basically, what is the easiest way to link this freebsd box to the
internet with a router with an ip of 208.128.192.225, netmask of
255.255.255.224, ip for the machine will be: 208.128.192.241 domain name
is dcoisp.net.  Host is twcmedia.
Thank you for any responses.
Jeremy