Date:      Sat, 2 Jun 2001 15:02:37 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        "Morgan Davis" <mdavis@cts.com>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG, wollman@FreeBSD.ORG, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@mahoroba.org>, freebsd-print@bostonradio.org
Subject:   Re: lpd: Malformed from address

At 12:54 PM -0400 6/2/01,  I (Garance) wrote:
>In a later message on 6/3/01, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
>>When I ported IPv6 support into FreeBSD from NetBSD, I wrongly
>>brought reserved port checking code into FreeBSD.  Originally,
>>FreeBSD's lpd didn't check validity of connection by checking
>>if it comes from reserved port.
>
>Hmm.  I wonder if this is something that got dropped along
>the way somewhere.  The lpd I use at RPI *does* check that
>jobs are coming from a reserved port, and I am pretty sure I
>never wrote that code.  That implies that it must have been
>in whatever version of lpd that RPI started with

A more awake person might have immediately remembered that
the whole reason to keep CVS logs is so people can answer
questions like this...

It appears that freebsd's lpd lost this reserved-port check
with version 1.6 of lpd, back in July of 1997.  The comments
for the change do not indicate why the check was dropped (and
from the comments, it's not clear that the check was MEANT to
be dropped...).  My gut feeling is that the check is good to
do, which gets us back to finding out why the implementation
added with IPv6 does not seem to work for Morgan.