Date:      Sat, 20 Apr 2002 22:07:59 -0300 (ADT)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE not easily scalable to large servers ... ?

On Sat, 20 Apr 2002, Alfred Perlstein wrote:

> * The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> [020420 16:01] wrote:
> >

> > As a quick follow-up to this, doing more searching on the web, I came
> > across a few suggested 'sysctl' settings, which I've added to what I had
> > before, for a total of:
> >
> > kern.maxfiles=65534
> > jail.sysvipc_allowed=1
> > vm.swap_idle_enabled=1
> > vfs.vmiodirenable=1
> > kern.ipc.somaxconn=4096
> >
> > I've also just reduced my maxusers to 256 from 1024, since 1024 was
> > crashing worse then 512, and I ran across the 'tuning' man page that
> > stated that you shouldn't go above 256 :(
> >
> > Just a bit more detail on the setup ...
>
> You said you're running 5000 processes.  5000 processes of what?
>
> Are they useing SYSVSHM?  If so, this sysctl might help:
>
> kern.ipc.shm_use_phys=1

Okay, never knew of that one before ... have it set for the next reboot,
as I do have a few postgresql servers going on the 'root (non-jail)'
server ...

> It'll only work if you set it before your processes setup.
>
> Some more information about what these 5000 processes are doing
> would help.

Sorry ... the server is running ~210 jails ... so the '5k processes' would
be when they all start up their periodic scripts ... normally, it hovers
around 2700 processes ...