Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:23:52 -0500
From:      Derek Ragona <derek@computinginnovations.com>
To:        "ghostcorps@gmail.com" <ghostcorps@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI RAID on FreeBSD 7.0, where is the array?

At 07:56 AM 7/30/2008, ghostcorps@gmail.com wrote:
>Hi all,
>

>I am fighting the following hardware:
>
>MB: ASUS p5b-plus (NON vista edition)
>Cpu: Core 2 duo 4600
>SCSI Card: Adaptec 39320 (Unused Dell OEM bought from ebay)
>HDDs: 2xSeagate Cheetah 73.4 GB Ultra320 SCSI (posibly Dell OEM)
>
>Nb. The MB does not support PCI-X, but is backwards compatible to a
>standard PCI slot. On recommendations I have limited the throughput on the
>channels to 160mb.
>
>If you think any other pieces relevant let me know.
>

>I think this is probably just an issue with my not knowing wtf I'm doing,
>but to be optimistic lets assume the ahd module worked as there are no
>errors in dmesg; which device do I install to? I can not see see ahd0 in fdisk.
>
>There are alot of posts over the years reporting trouble with the
>Dell(Adaptec/Seagate) combiniation. The funny thing is that I am having
>none of these troubles; There are no panics, no dumps and no lengthy
>pauses. It all seems fine, until I try to select the disk to install to
>and I only have da0 or da1.
>

>Thanks for your time

Have you defined an array?

If you create the array in the adaptec BIOS you will see one large hard
disk in FreeBSD.  If you do not define an array in the adaptec BIOS you
will see the individual SCSI drives as da0, da1, etc.

The GENERIC kernel has all the typical SCSI and RAID adapters compiled in,
so look at the dmesg output when you boot FreeBSD.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.