Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2000 19:10:14 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        Philip Hallstrom <philip@adhesivemedia.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: natd: -pptpalias option is no longer in 4.x?

On Wed, Aug 02, 2000 at 08:13:51AM -0700, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> (see below)
>
> On Wed, 2 Aug 2000, Ruslan Ermilov wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 04:45:44PM -0700, Philip Hallstrom wrote:
> > > Hi -
> > > 	I seem to remember reading something that says that in 4.x the
> > > -pptpalias is no longer needed with 4.x, but I can't seem to find that
> > > message, nor can I find anything that explains what changed.
> > >
> > > My guess is that natd can now translate multiple MS VPN (pptp) connections
> > > simulatanously?
> > >
> > > Can anyone confirm this hunch?
> > >
> > natd(8) uses libalias(3) library for all NAT duties, and that library was
> > made to transparently support PPTP, thus -pptpalias has gone.
> >
> > Unfortunately, it was later discovered that PPTP aliasing does not work when
> > more than one internal client connects to the same external server at the
> > same time, because PPTP requires a single TCP control connection to be
> > established between any two IP addresses.  Hopefully, this will be fixed in
> > the future.  This is documented in 5.0-CURRENT's libalias(3) manual page.
>

> Is the reverse also true?  That is, can multiple external clients connect
> to an internal server (either NT or the freebsd pptp port) at the same
> time?

Before the bug was discovered, the following were known to work (copied
from the CVS log history):

: - Multiple PPTP clients behind NAT to the same or different servers.
:
: - Single PPTP server behind NAT -- you just need to redirect TCP
:   port 1723 to a local machine.  Multiple servers behind NAT is
:   possible but would require a simple API change.

The second paragraph should answer your question.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,