Date:      Fri, 16 May 1997 12:48:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Ron G. Minnich" <rminnich@Sarnoff.COM>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mosix source; bsd clustering

here are the symbols in mosix.o (sorry i didn't do this first .....)

00000004 C _Tblock
0000f5f0 D _Tload
00000004 C _Tlstay
00000004 C _Tquiet
00000004 C _Tstay
00000004 C _Tvis
0000eb6c T _absorb_ticks
0000018c T _add_statistics_to_ancesstor
00002bcc T _adhoc
00008c08 T _adjust_latecomers
0000ec6c T _age_pages
00002a70 T _ask_deputy_to_goto
00003530 T _balpriority
00005f0c T _become_deputy_after_syscall
00003294 T _bring_all_back
0000d58c T _bump_running
0000d138 T _calc_load
0000e618 T _calc_utime
00000ef0 T _call_for_mem_balance
0000eadc T _can_read_kmem
00008d58 T _cancel_all_migrations
00006280 T _check_migrations
0000dec8 T _check_signals

etc. etc. etc. Looks like lots of stuff in there absent source.

My guess is: no source.

on a different note: bsd clustering is a good idea, and in fact I make
money here at sarnoff doing it, and have been doing so for the past few
years. I paid for my first 16-node cluster in less than 6 months. But I
don't sell clusters, I do computing for people and/or sell turnkey
software to run jobs on clusters.

For success: transparency at all levels is not the issue.
Migration is not always needed. In fact lots of stuff that may appeal
to us as CS types is not necessarily what customers need, e.g. CORBA.
What's needed is one of:
1) turnkey application
2) C compiler which hides the cluster. This is transparancy at the compiler
   level, but note it is NOT transparency at many other levels. The
   distinction is essential. I've used this (we built one at SRC)
   and it's nice.
3) some sort of simple graphical front-end to start up, monitor, and
   control tasks (we use TK)

ron