Date:      Tue, 3 Feb 2004 01:03:23 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Jason Harris <jharris@widomaker.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SIZE different between MASTER_SITE(s) and ftp.FreeBSD.org for some ports

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:11:27 -0500
Jason Harris <jharris@widomaker.com> wrote:

> In gmane.os.freebsd.devel.ports, you wrote:
>
> >> =====> Fetching for /usr/ports/misc/floatator/
> >
> > The distfile was re-rolled but "diff -burN" showed no changes.  I added
> > the new MD5 and size.
>
> Unfortunately, this results in:
>
>   fetch -S 52768 52770 http://floatator.cichon.com/download/floatator-0.2.1.tar.gz
>
> So, I think removing the first size is the best (quick) fix, since those
> who have the original file won't be calling fetch and those who don't
> will likely grab it from a MASTER_SITE.
>
>  But if the MASTER_SITEs are
> down and the distfile caches report the file size (and have the original
> distfile), this will make the fetch fail unnecessarily.

I would prefer bumping port_revision or something; if that's
unacceptable change the SIZE and the md5 and let people fetch again. The
idea of having 2 "same" distfiles with different md5 and sizes just
doesn't seems right (and will likely produce more noise).

> However, unless bsd.port.mk (and fetch(1)) can be made to work properly
> with multiple SIZEs,

Not impossible, but unlikely as this will also require multiple MD5, if
I'm not missing something here; and my first thought would be something
very bad about security.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user