Date:      Wed, 1 Dec 1999 18:38:39 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Tony <tbrock@mail.phoenix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Reboots and lockups using MSDOS and NTFS mounts.

On Tue, Nov 30, 1999 at 08:32:36AM -0600, Tony wrote:

> Yesterday as I was saving some data from a then corrupt NT
> installation (The data was not corrupt, something with the
> configuration wouldn't allow NT to boot ) I mounted my NTFS drive
> under FreeBSD 3.1.  I started a pax -rw of the volume onto /usr/tmp
> and some time into the copy the machine simply rebooted.
>
> Once the machine came back up I scanned for any logged errors and
> checked available drive space.  There was plenty of free space and
> no errors were logged.
>
> Is mount_ntfs that unstable or could it be something else?

I think that the NTFS code is beta level (certainly that versions I
built manually on 3.1-R were, I don't know how much development has
been done recently).

On my machine the NTFS partition has >40,000 files in ~1000
directories and a find(1) or other recursive stuff from high up in the
NTFS tree frequently hangs, although I've never had a spontaneous
reboot. It maybe better to copy directories one (or a few) at a time,
a PITA I know, but if it works then it's worth it.

>  On a similar note, I was mounting MSDOS floppies to try and get a
> working boot disk.  Upon copying a file to the mounted floppy the
> machine hung completely.  Is this also a known problem or is this
> normal behavior?

> (I realize there are MSDOS utilities in /usr/ports but cp felt doable 8)
>

> Tony

PERL has been described as "the duct tape of the Internet"
and "the Unix Swiss Army chainsaw"
				- Computer Shopper 12/99