Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:05:38 -0700
From:      Robert Clark <res03db2@gte.net>
To:        Don Wilde <Don@Silver-Lynx.com>
Cc:        Gilbert Gong <ggong@cal.alumni.berkeley.edu>, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>, j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD, .Net comments - any reponse to this reasoning?

Would people have an easier time fitting their minds around the
concepts inherent in FreeBSD, if Berkely/UC/California wasn't
such a big part of the name.

Maybe having lived in CA during the Regan era has something to
do with it for me, but BSD makes a mental image as solid as a
cinder block, and just about as sexy.

Whether that is a good thing, in the face of something as hard
to pin down as the meaning of GNU & GPL, is a question no one
person could never answer. (?)

"Can I use FreeBSD? I thought it was only for the UC schools."

"FreeBSD, is that like UCSD Pascal?"

[RC]