Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 21:32:13 -0500
From:      G578@ix.netcom.com
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   C executables

I know this sounds idiotic, but I can't get my "C" executables to run.
I've compiled with "cc" and with "gcc" (which I installed from the
packages), and I get no errors, and I create "a.out", but when I type
"a.out" to run the thing, I get "...not found."  I'm new to C and new to
UNIX, so I'm probably doing something excrutiatingly dumb.  It's just
that, this is how it worked in Caldera Linux, and this is how all the C
books say it should work in pretty much any UNIX environment.  You
compile, you don't specify an object module name, it defaults to
"a.out", then you type "a.out" and, Voila, Hello World!  Why am I
getting Voila, Not Found?

Thanks.

--Steve Barney