Date:      Fri, 15 Jul 2005 08:32:14 -0700
From:      Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
To:        Ryan Sommers <ryans@gamersimpact.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with OpenBSD dhclient

Ryan Sommers wrote:
> Sam Leffler wrote:
>

>> Something is busted; I'll need to investigate.  If you want to help
>> you can run ieee80211watch (from tools/tools/ath) while things happen
>> and note the events that get sent by the kernel.
>>
>>     Sam
>

> I've been having very similar problems with wireless and DHCP. My case
> is somewhat different though. Instead of DHCP not only not setting the
> default route, it doesn't even seem to be setting up a routing socket.
>
> For the past few weeks my sequence while on the road using APs where I
> don't know them before hand has been:
>
> 1) dstumbler to find AP name
> 2) add entry to /etc/dhclient.conf
> 3) Run dhclient to see IP address assignment
> 4) Manually take the interface down and bring it back up setting media
> as in dhclient.conf entry
> 5) Assign IP address and create the default route.
>
> Lately dhclient hasn't even been setting the IP address all the time.
> And for a slightly longer time if I simply tried to create/change the
> default route to the new gateway I would get a no routing socket error.
> Manually taking the interface down and up solved this.

As mentioned in previous mail about this; using dhclient's media
configuration mechanism for wireless configuration is not going to work
(reliably) and in general is a mistake.  You should use wpa_supplicant
to scan for ap's and configure security policies.  (Despite it's name
wpa_supplicant is for more than networks where wpa is configured.)
dhclient should then be launched by devd when you associate.

As to locating ap's I find bringing the interface up and letting it scan
(in station mode) is usually sufficient; just use ifconfig foo list scan
to see the results.  If wpa_supplicant is running in the background then
you can use wpa_cli to monitor scan results.  What we need is a proper
tool to do the above through a ui/gui; I had hoped one of the SoC
projects might address this.

If you can send me (privately) the exact set of steps you use by which
you get a "no routing socket error" then I'll try to look at it.

> Note though, this only applies to wireless, wired dhclient plays very
> nicely.
>
> Let me know if there is anything I can do to help diagnose.

	Sam