Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:51:09 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Udo Erdelhoff <ue@nathan.ruhr.de>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding a publication date to the installation instructions

--==_Exmh_2077230273P

If memory serves me right, Udo Erdelhoff wrote:

> I just noticed that the installation instructions do not carry their
> publication date (read: $FreeBSD$) inside them.  This makes it rather
> hard to check if the rendered version for the web site is still up
> to date (comapred to the SGML version, that is).  Proposed fix:

Hi Udo--

This works well in the case that the content is contained in one
file (such as for the readme, errata, or early adopter's guide).
The problem with the installation instructions is that the content is
scattered throughout several files and there is not any single
$FreeBSD$ tag you (or anybody) can use to give the latest revision date
for the document as a whole.

One possibility might be to reorganize the content into a single file,
*then* you can use the $FreeBSD$ tag in a meaningful way.  I did this
for the release notes some months ago.  I *think* you can do this for
the installation guide as well, and I wouldn't object to somebody doing
this if it can be made to work.  It can't be done for the hardware
notes, because there are some MD files.

Cheers,

Bruce.

PS.  The installation guide is a bloody mess.  At one point I thought
it'd be cool to fold all of the MD content into the Handbook (so it
could cover all architectures), and then somehow build the install
chapter from the Handbook as a part of the release documentation set. I
gave up, but that shouldn't prevent someone else from taking a shot at
it.

--==_Exmh_2077230273P

--==_Exmh_2077230273P--