Date:      Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:02:13 -0700
From:      "Foster, Jim" <JFOSTER@CSKAUTO.COM>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Killing (HUP) the pppd process

Hi all;

I have a small network at home and I am using FreeBSD as a server that
handles dialing out to my ISP.

While this works fine, I am looking for a way of hanging up the modem before
the idle time expires when someone is done using the 'net.  Since this is my
only phone line, it is not acceptable to just let it time-out.

I found that I can issue 'kill -hup `cat /var/run/ppp0.pid`' (from memory,
may not be accurate) from root and it will hang up the modem.

I figured that I could put the kill statement into a file, mark it as
executable, and turn on the set-owner-id for the file so it executes as
root. But, when a non-root user runs the script, kill tells them that it
will not do it because they are not the owner.  I turned on the set-owner-id
on the owner first, and then both the owner and the group, but no
difference.  And yes, the owner and group of the script are root and wheel.

Since kill does not seem to work in this case, is there a better way of
getting the same job done?

Finally, even to make this work the user needs to telnet to the box,
sign-on, and run the script.  Is there some interface that someone knows
about that would run as a daemon and accept requests from a GUI interface to
do the same job?  For instance, so they could run a M$ Windows app that
sends the hang-up request to the server?

Thanks, and please be sure to cc directly to me since I don't subscribe to
FreeBSD-questions because of the high volume.

Jim