Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 2006 17:42:09 +1000
From:      Nick Withers <nick@nickwithers.com>
To:        irlow irlow <irlowx@yahoo.com.br>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel Source

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 07:27:43 +0000 (GMT)
irlow irlow <irlowx@yahoo.com.br> wrote:

> bash-2.05b# cd vmware3/
> bash-2.05b# make install && make clean
> ===>  vmware3-3.2.1.2242_13,1 kernel source files required.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3.
> bash-2.05b#
>
> What should I do?
>
> I don't know how to install a kernel source, specially that it's probably the kernel source of the linux base,

No, it's the FreeBSD kernel sources...

> because it runs emulated, just read the package-desc.

...just read /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3/Makefile :-)

> But I'd like to know where is the kernel source package of the freebsd in ports too...

There ain't no FreeBSD kernel source package, or kernel source
port (or at least not that I'm aware of, and I wouldn't expect
there to be).

You will need to install the source files from the
appropriate FreeBSD installation media and / or from the 'net.
You can, for instance, use cvsup(1) to pull the FreeBSD kernel
sources for any particular revision (or indeed date / time)
down.

Please see
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cvsup.html
for more information on using cvsup to update / obtain FreeBSD
kernel sources, but do also be aware that you're probably
better off installing the sources from the installation media
first, then updating them (if you feel this is necessary for
your particular version of FreeBSD) to avoid having to download
the whole lot.

> thanks

I have probably explained this a little too quickly, so please
feel free to ask if you'd like clarification.
--
Nick Withers
email: nick@nickwithers.com