Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 20:19:40 -0700
From:      Tim Kientzle <kientzle@freebsd.org>
To:        Brenden Grace <bcg@intelli7.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg_create @cwd and @srcdir

Brenden Grace wrote:
> In this thread:
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2003-June/001673.html
>
> some people seem to think that @cwd is broken. The man pages do not
> explicitly state how @cwd should operate, but currently the directory
> must exist for pkg_create to run properly.
>
> This is extremely annoying because build machines *must* create the
> final directory structure of the target install before the package can
> be created.
>
> So my question is, does the 5.2.1 version of pkg_create contain a bug or
> is pkg_create really just very limited?

Try it with bsdtar as the system default tar
and see if that behaves any differently.
(WITH_BSDTAR=1 in /etc/make.conf).

I had read the above thread shortly before I
designed bsdtar's cwd handling, and it should
work.  bsdtar stores directory change
requests but doesn't actually try to chdir()
until it sees a file.  That way, extraneous
cwd requests get silently ignored, rather than
causing it to abort.

Let me know...

Tim Kientzle