Date:      Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:25:12 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Blue Raccoon <blue.raccoon@wanadoo.nl>
Cc:        Joe Altman <fj@panix.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: USB Problems with Scanjet 3400c

--8t9RHnE3ZwKMSgU+

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 09:00:41PM +0100, Blue Raccoon wrote:
> Joe,
>=20
> Thanks for your tips.
>=20
> On Tuesday 15 November 2005 18:37, Joe Altman wrote:
> > I suggest trying to put this after the "niash" in the dll.conf file:
> >  :/dev/uscanner0
>=20
> I did, but it makes no difference.

You should verify that /usr/local/etc/sane.d/dll.conf has the line=20

niash

in it.

You cut put a line like

usb /dev/uscanner0

in /usr/local/etc/sane.d/niash.conf

> > You will also need to set up device bits, in /etc/devfs.conf:
> > #####Scanner
> > perm    uscanner0       <the perms you wish to have, like 0660 or 0666>
>=20
> Perms I wish to have? I'm afraid that means nothing to me.

SANE communicates with the scanner by reading and writing from a special
file in the /dev directory. Normally, only the root user has write
access to these files. You need to set up /etc/devfs.rules (not
/etc/devfs.conf) for hotpluggable devices like USB.

The most simple solution would be to have the following in
/etc/devfs.rules:

[devrules=3D10]
add path 'uscanner*' mode 0666

You'll also have to activate the ruleset 'devrules' by putting the
following line in /etc/rc.conf:

devfs_system_ruleset=3D"devrules"

Iy that's done, you should either reboot the machine, or run the command
'/etc/rc.d/devfs restart' as root (with the scanner unplugged).

It that is done, and you plug in the scanner, a device file /dev/uscanner0
should appear that everybody can use.

> They have a patch (source code) that can alter the SANE source to become=
=20
> Scanjet3400c compatible. I may have to look into that, but I also found t=
his=20
> in the patch documentation:
>=20
> before trying to make your scanner work, call:
> $ less /proc/bus/usb/devices
> if your scanning device is not listed by name, you probably
> have a 3400C or 4300C and difficulties with the kernel-usb.
> The forum will give you information, how to change the
> kernel code, to make your scanner work.
>=20
> My /proc/ is totally empty.

This is about the /proc filesystem in Linux.

> Good point, since I have no /dev/uscanner* - but I have no MAKEDEV comman=
d=20
> either! And there are more lines I simply do not understand:

Again, this is Linux specific. FreeBSD 5.x and 6.0 don't have a MAKEDEV
command anymore, because they make device files automatically when a
device is available.

> I come straight from Windows XP. Perhaps I bit off a bit more than I can=
=20
> chew...  Can this be solved by a newbie?

Try the things I have suggested above, plug in the scanner and run
sane-find-scanner.=20

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith (http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/) Please send e-mail as plain text.