Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 2008 15:22:33 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        "C.M. Burns" <montiburns@googlemail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Migrate harddisk with FreeBSD into new machine

In the last episode (Aug 14), C.M. Burns said:
> Derek Ragona schrieb:
> > At 01:26 PM 8/14/2008, C.M. Burns wrote:
> >> I have a problem. A faulty machine was running freeBSD with a two
> >> harddisk software raid. now these two disks should be put into a
> >> new machine, but of course it won't boot because it is new
> >> hardware. Kernel just reports: cannot mount root device from
> >> /dev/mirror/gm0s1a (or sth like this).
> >>
> >> question is now, how can i add the correct driver into the initial
> >> ramdisk (if there is such a thing on bsd) so the machine finds the
> >> two drives? second question: how can i afterwards remove the
> >> software mirror and only use one harddisk from that moment on?
> >>
> >> any help is very welcom, as i have no idea about bsd. i am a linux
> >> guy ;)
> >
> > What I would do, is install FreeBSD onto a new separate hard disk.
> > Disks are cheap.  Once you get the boot disk installed you can
> > create a custom kernel if necessary to support the RAID.
>
> maybe there is a way to use the "loader prompt" to manually load the
> module? it is a buslogic bt948 controller.
> i would rather not compile a new kernel :)

I was going to suggest building the buslogic driver as a module and
then loading it from floppy at the loader prompt, but it doesn't look
like the "bt" driver is available in module form.  Do you maybe have an
Adaptec SCSI card you could use instead, at least until you can rebuild
the kernel?  I know modules for those are on the install CD (newer
cards will be managed by the ahc or ahd drivers).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com