Date:      06 Dec 2002 11:29:17 -0500
From:      Matt Smith <matt@forsetti.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dialog Boxes

I run fluxbox, and experience the same issue with native jdk1.3.1 .  I
have found that certain combinations of Window Manager and Native vs
Linux JDK cause windows to be "as small as the Window Manager allows".
Unfortunately, playing with Window Focusing modes does not help me, as
offered by Gavin in a previous email.

For example, fluxbox with native-jdk1.3.1 causes Netbean's splash screen
to have a title bar, and be incredibly small.  However, fluxbox with
linux-jdk1.4.1 (run as root) causes the splash screen to be displayed,
normal size, with no title bar (as the splash screen should be, I
believe).

I used to run WindowMaker, and found that certain apps would shrink
certain java windows with native-jdk1.3, and display properly with
linux-jdk-1.3 (I didn't try 1.4 under WindowMaker), and certain apps
would exhibit the opposite effect.  I know this is not very specific,
but it has been a while since I ran WindowMaker, and I don't remember
the details.

Off hand, using native-jdk1.3.1 to run the LDAP Browser/Editor from
http://www.iit.edu/~gawojar/ldap/ displays the splash screen properly,
but then further windows pop up very small.  linux-jdk1.4 (as root)
displays all windows properly.

If it matters, I am running the same class files under both native-jdk1.3.1
and linux-sun-jdk1.4 -- I am not recompiling each app using the matching javac.

Hope this info helps a little -- I can collect more Windows Manager vs.
Java version vs. Application as time permits, if it would help any.
-Matt