Date:      Sun, 6 Feb 2005 11:05:08 -0800
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@kestrel.alerce.com>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Hardcoding gmirror provider [was Re: Problem with migrating...]

George Hartzell writes:
 > [...]
 > I'd like to migrate the installation to a new box that uses ide disks,
 > and am basing my attempts on the
 >
 >   "GEOM mirror Approach 2: Single Slice, Preferred, More Flexible"
 >
 > portion of these instructions:
 >
 >    http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
 >
 > Although the disk that I ended up with was bootable in the new system,
 > I noticed that the slice table was messed up.  After a couple of
 > tries, here's what I've found:
 >
 > The machine is:
 >
 >    FreeBSD merlin.alerce.com 5.3-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p2 #9: Sat Dec 18 12:38:37 PST 2004     root@merlin.alerce.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MERLIN  i386
 > [...]

I've figured out that if I hardcode the provider when I label my
mirror everything seems to work out, which leaves me confused.

Here's the label command I was using (modified for my situation):

  gmirror label -v -n -b round-robin disk0 /dev/ad0s1

After running that command, "gmirror list" tells me that the consumer
for disk0 is "Name: ad0", even though I've specified ad0s1 above and
when I bsdlabel the disk the slice table gets clobbered.

If I do this instead:

  gmirror label -v -n -h -b round-robin disk0 /dev/ad0s1

then "gmirror list" tells me that the consumer is "Name: ad0s1" and
bsdlabel doesn't stomp on the slice table.

Am I [just] confused, and I tripping over a sharp piece of exposed
code, or is this a bug.

FWIW, I get the same behaviour on:

  FreeBSD merlin.alerce.com 5.3-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.3-RELEASE-p2 #9: Sat Dec 18 12:38:37 PST 2004
root@merlin.alerce.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/MERLIN  i386

and

  Freesbie 1.1

g.