Date:      Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:18:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time for my own PC hardware

>Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 14:06:57 -0700
>From: Summoner <summoner@uswest.net>

>OEM drives don't come with cables, manufacturers assume that anyone
>with enough brains to install their own hardware always has at least
>one spare IDE cable.  *glances at the boxes of ribbon cables on the
>shelves*

Yeah, well... this pair of boxes would be the first hardware I've
purchased that uses IDE (ref. Subject:).  :-)

All the other stuff I've accumulated is SCSI.  (Some of it using DB-50
connectors, mind you, but SCSI -- or a SCSI-ESDI bridge controller.)

>Retail boxed drives and "drive kits" always come with an IDE cable.

At least I find these cultural differences interesting; reminds me of the
differences in "cultural norms" re: who pays for what (real estate)
commissions when we moved from southern to northern California.  (Hint:
in southern CA, seller pays.  In northern CA, buyer pays.  This combination
did not facilitate the move at all....)

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill		dhw@whistle.com		UNIX System Administrator
voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (888) 347-0197	FAX: (650) 372-5915