Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 01:10:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Omachonu Ogali <oogali@intranova.net>
To:        casaubon@cybercable.net.mx
Cc:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: misc/17240: Lost the root password of an OLD machine

Boot into single-user mode and run fsck, then:
mount -o rw /

And set your password from there, by the way, this isn't a FreeBSD bug, it
should be in -questions rather than -bugs.

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 casaubon@cybercable.net.mx wrote:

> >Number:         17240
> >Category:       misc
> >Synopsis:       Lost the root password of an OLD machine
> >Confidential:   no
> >Severity:       serious
> Well, I have a HD with FreeBSD installed, but since the box where
> I was running it crashed for good long ago (about 5 years ago)
> so I had the HD in a drawer til today, when I got a project to get
> that HD up and running and get the info I have in it up again.
> My problem is... I forgot the root password and the only password I
> remember is of an account that is not in the wheel group, no read
> access to /etc/master.passwd.  The single user boot of that system
> is read only access and I cannot edit master.passwd and to make it
> worse, the machine is not longer in the same net, so I need root
> password to change the configuration.  Any ideas?  Thanks bunches.
> >How-To-Repeat:
> Turn the box on.
> >Fix:
> How to get the root password of an old box
>
> >Release-Note:
> >Audit-Trail:
> >Unformatted:

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-bugs" in the body of the message

| Omachonu Ogali                                     oogali@intranova.net |
| Intranova Networking Group                 http://tribune.intranova.net |
| PGP Key ID:                                                  0xBFE60839 |
| PGP Fingerprint:       C8 51 14 FD 2A 87 53 D1  E3 AA 12 12 01 93 BD 34 |