Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2014 07:30:52 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Erich Dollansky <erichsfreebsdlist@alogt.com>,  Andre Albsmeier <mail@ma17.ata.myota.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pthread programming eats up resources (My or FreeBSD's fault?)

On 2/19/14 7:08 AM, Erich Dollansky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> as I understand your program, it creates 1000 threads, waits a but and
> then starts again creating 1000 threads until something kill it.
>
>  From my point of view, your program depends very much on the default
> settings of the environment. If the environment allows the immediate
> execution of the new thread, you will never get many threads.
> Otherwise, the number of threads hanging around could add up. It also
> depends on the number of CPUs/cores your system has.
>
> But your are right, it should not crash on a modern machine but it
> still could use some amount of memory.
OK.    Maybe use a global locked with a mutex or atomic that gets
increased each time the main thread spawns a thread and then decreased
by that thread right before the child thread exits.
Then the main loop can print the value of that.

If it gets huge then your main loop is making threads faster than the
system can remove them.  If not , then it's a leak.