Date:      Wed, 03 Nov 1999 08:36:25 +1100
From:      Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@ficsgrp.com>
To:        Charlie Root <jfincher@cinci.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't use internet after recompiling kernel

Hi Jeremy,

firstly - please don't send stuff as 'Charlie Root' - buggers up my
mail-box rules :')

> Ok, for some reason unknown to me, I can't recompile a kernel that is
> slimed down to only my network card drivers but still uses DHCP to
> access the internet.

Ok, let me try and nut this out. You've customised your kernel config
file (as attached) and you want to use DHCP to pick up your ip address
from your ISP?

I think, trying hard to recall, that you need to have included in the
kernel the Berkley Packet Filter stuff. So where you have the bpfilter
line commented out, I think you need it in.

> # The `bpfilter' pseudo-device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
> # Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
> # The number of devices determines the maximum number of
> # simultaneous BPF clients programs runnable.
> #pseudo-device  bpfilter 1      #Berkeley packet filter

Also, I think you need to have a number in the order of '4' (not one),
and you need to MAKEDEV the bpf* devices in the /dev directory.

> If you got down this far, thank you so very much for doing this.
>
> Jeremy
>
> P.S.  Don't ask about the name  :-)

Ok, I won't :')

hth,