Date:      Wed, 01 Feb 2017 13:02:26 +0100
From:      "Ronald Klop" <ronald-lists@klop.ws>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, "Jakub Lach" <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 11.0-STABLE #0 r310265 amd64 seems to be cpi-ing garbage to mounted FAT32 fs after 10-20 GB.

On Thu, 29 Dec 2016 20:06:31 +0100, Jakub Lach <jakub_lach@mailplus.pl>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've recently tried to make a switch to a bigger memory card in some
> device; what I've discovered, is that FreeBSD is cp-ing garbage to a
> mounted FAT32 fs after first 10-20 GB (depending on luck).
>
> What I mean by garbage are non removable 'files' with random names
> which cannot be escaped. The fastest way to get rid of them is newfs.
>
> I've initially thought the problem were faulty memory card(s) but
> I was able to test them (mounted as FAT32 still) with sysutils/f3.
> They are fine, the utility writes(!) and reads them correctly.
>
> However, as soon as cp (-a) gets involved, the garbage appears,
> sometimes with CAM errors and reboots.
>
> Additionally, I saw exactly the same errors with FAT32 on HDD
> mounted via USB, so the cards are not a problem.
>
> What I can do?
>
> 1. Reading is not at all affected, I can backup (cp -a) mounted FAT32
> cards to UFS2 (local disk) without problems.
> 2. I can mount FAT32 and test the cards with sysutils/f3. The medium
> (card) is tested via the same USB dual card reader as below.
>
> What I can't do reliably, as garbage appears after first 10-20 GB?
>
> 1. I can't cp (-a) from UFS2 to mounted FAT32 partition. Smaller writes
> are a matter of luck.
> 2. I can't cp (-a) from FAT32 (mounted fs on memory card A in dual card
> reader)
> to another FAT32 (mounted fs on memory card B in a dual card reader).
> Same
> problem as above.
>
> Any ideas?

I see nobody replied. I don't have an answer, but this might help.
You can try the freebsd-fs mailinglist. It is about filesystems.
You can also provide more information about your system. What version of
FreeBSD are you running? 'uname -a' and the content of /var/run/dmesg.boot
as a starter.
You can file a problem report (PR) at https://bugs.freebsd.org/ with a
reproducable test case.
Does the problem also occur if you use rsync to copy the files?

Regards,
Ronald.