Date:      Tue, 16 May 2000 22:06:15 -0600
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>, Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A new api for asynchronous task execution (2)

}(This applies to crap going into libc as well; especially new stuff.  We
} should be using a symbol prefix that at least *tries* to keep us out of
} other peoples' namespaces.)

	This really is a very valid statement/complaint. The "M_"
prefix used with the mutex stuff in BSD/OS is in common with the
mbuf stuff. We, or maybe just I, though about this quite a bit
before deciding to go with the M_ for mutexs. I don't know that
anybody else really cared. Even though there were valid reasons
for trying to keep the names short, I'm not at all sure that the
right decision was reached. All of the macros start with mtx_
(mtx_enter, mtx_exit, mtx_try_enter). It may be that a global pass
should be made and all the mtx "M_" should be changed to "MTX_".
Comments?

	On a slightly related note. I see that putting prefixes on
structure elements appears less common in FreeBSD than BSD/OS. Is
this a conscience decision, or something that just happened because
the compiler doesn't require it anymore? Actually anymore is a real
long time now. Anyway, I can say with a fair amount of certainty
that when it comes time to go around locking up the kernel this
isn't going to be popular. When using tools like cscope/glimpse looking
for foo_timeout is much more productive than just looking for
timeout. There are some of these in the BSD/OS kernel and making
sure all references were covered was a real pain.

Chuck