Date:      Fri, 20 Jul 2012 09:40:42 +0200
From:      dennis berger <db@nipsi.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   ISCSI on zvols with two maschines. What needs to be done?

Hi folks,

The following question often comes to me, when I speak to my customers.

Is it possible to attach two systems to the same storage array using =
shared SAS and use istgt + zfs to provide=20
a reliable ISCSI target. This could be active/passive or later =
active/active. In case it's not possible, what needs to be done?

The questions that came into my mind.

Can I connect two freebsd to the storage and boot them up? Just that =
both systems would see the physical devices.=20
Can I start ZFS on both systems without writing on it? I would like to =
use just block devices for ISCSI. Is everything still consistent?
Does starting ZFS up already writing some sort of meta data to the =
physical devices?!
Can I start istgt on both systems without actually using the istgt on =
one system?! Then CARP would be enough, wouldn't it.

Or in case of active/active extend istgt to communicate with the other =
istgt to not hand out a device twice?=20

Best,
-dennis