Date:      Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:59:24 +0200
From:      Jonathan McKeown <jonathan+freebsd-questions@hst.org.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Release schedules

I've been biting my tongue about this because I'm not sure that I can offer
any help or useful suggestions, but here goes...

What on earth is going on with release scheduling?

FreeBSD 7.1-RELEASE, according to the scheduling page at www.freebsd.org,
should have had a Release Candidate published two months ago, on 13
September. Instead we're still on a Beta - BETA-2, which isn't mentioned in
the original schedule. The todo list which has appeared on the website in
previous releases isn't available this time, so I can't even get a feel for
the likely cause of the holdup.

As I said, I hate to stand on the sidelines and heckle when I'm not doing
anything to contribute to the release, but the timetable has slipped badly
and I don't feel I can find information about the reasons or the revised
timings. What exactly is going on, and is there anything a busy sysadmin,
poor in time, bandwidth and C skills, can do to help with either the release
itself or the apparent scheduling/communication issues?

(I've sent this to -questions rather than -stable because it seems to be an
ongoing problem with the timetabling of releases.)

Jonathan