Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 2004 20:50:40 -0500
From:      John Adams <jadams01@sprynet.com>
To:        <fbsd_user@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New installation: Hanging when trying to dial out

On Tuesday, January 13, 2004, at 06:57 PM, fbsd_user wrote:

> Try this command to mount the cd drive.
> First load the 4.6 install cd in cd drive
> 	mount /cdrom
> 	cd /cdrom
> 	ls
> 	cd /
> 	umount /cdrom

Success!

> look at the  etc/fstab to see how cd drive is configured

Device	Mountpoint	FStype	Options	Dump	Pass
/dev/acd0c	/cdrom	cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0

> Explain how you switch from booting winme to booting FBSD

I've yet to learn how to tell the bootloader to boot from the primary
drive, so I just change the order of the drives in BIOS.

> Verify floppy drive works in winme.

And there's the answer--I believe this drive is dead. I recall it
making noises some time ago, and it must've gone over the edge.
Fortunately, Atlanta has some good stores--I've been wanting to pop
down to the one by Tech for a while now, and this is as good an excuse
as any.

This brings me back to the modem question. I can type in the entries
from ppp.conf and ppp.log--or I suppose I could try to learn to write
to the FAT partition elsewhere on this drive, which I'm not unwilling
to do (shouldn't be hard, which is what I thought about the modem.)

Advice? And thanks again,

	John A