Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 13:11:15 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        noelt@rani.pworld.net.ph
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kernel upgrade.

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 16:01:26 +0800, noelt@rani.pworld.net.ph wrote:

> I wanted to upgrade my kernel, where can I get a kernel upgrade?
> I am using FreeBSD v3.1. I already search the ports at the web and
> I can't see any upgrade for kernel just like in linux.

Linux is essentially distributed as a kernel plus lots of packages.
FreeBSD is an entire operating system. It's not a good idea to upgrade
just the kernel without upgrading the base system as well.

> Follow up  questions, does linux kernel applicable on FreeBSD?

No, not at all. :-)

Have a look at the FreeBSD Handbook's chapter on "The Cutting Edge:
FreeBSD-current and FreeBSD-stable". Steer clear of FreeBSD-current and
pay attention to the sections "Staying Stable with FreeBSD",
"Synchronizing Source Trees over the Internet" and "Using make world to
rebuild your system".

When it comes time to choose a synchronization method, you'll almost
certainly want CVSup.

Ciao,
Sheldon.