Date:      Fri, 10 Apr 1998 20:58:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Fw: Your Article "Freeware: The Heart & Soul of the  Internet"

(cross-posting and massive CC list trimmed)

On 10 Apr 1998, Jason Nordwick wrote:

> > Such is true.  I am a "newish" FreeBSD user and SuSE Linux reseller.  I
> > see a ready market for free "low cost" software in college bookstores,
> > particularly those universities that have computer engineering and
> > comsci departments.  Part of evangelism is marketing and market
> > presence.  Having this OS on display at universities will attract a
> > young audience the very people that are evangelizing Linux.
> > Frank
> >

> Would it be possible to have the Walnut Creek CDs in computer/bookstores,
> as I see the Linux CDs ?
>
> What would this take, just calling and marketing ?

So, for example, I am currently an undergraduate at Carnegie Mellon
University.  If the FreeBSD CD-ROM was available for purchase at our
computer store, I am sure people would by it + try it.  Right now there is
a far more active Linux community here, but there are a fair number of
avid FreeBSD users and developers here :).

Jordan, would it be possible to get a few promotional CD-ROMs sent to us
here if I can pursuade our store to put it on the shelves?  Just to see if
they sell so they can decide if the program works for them.  If not, I can
always foot the bill :).  When I get back to Pittsburgh next week, I'll
stop by and ask.

  Robert N Watson

----
Carnegie Mellon University  http://www.cmu.edu/