Date:      Mon, 12 Nov 2001 22:02:18 -0500
From:      Derrick Norris <denorris@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Where can I look for causes of a random reboot?

Today my machine spontaneously rebooted while I was at work.  I am pretty
anal and log everything I can think of; my /var/log/all.log shows my machine
checking mail at 14:50, then boot messages start appearing at 14:56, with
nothing in between.  Output of "last" just shows a reboot at 14:56, not a
"crash" or anything like that.  I was remotely connected to the machine
during the day, but I had logged off before the reboot happened.

The machine is connected to a UPS and nut is running, but there were no
messages about anything funky with the UPS and my wife said the power didn't
go off today anyway.

As far as remote access, I have only sshd running on 4.4-RELEASE which should
be protected against the recent sshd exploit.  There are also ports open for
nut, syslog, thttpd, healthd, smtp, and identd.  I believe I configured most
of those services (those that could be) to listen only for local connections,
but some are listening to the world.  I can find no evidence of an attack but
an attacker may have covered their tracks.

Are there any other places I can look to see what might have caused this
reboot?

Thanks,
Derrick