Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:54:37 +0100
From:      Igor Pokrovsky <igor.pokrovsky@cnrm.meteo.fr>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   hard read error on disk

Hello,

I'm running STABLE(last cvsup about a month ago) on a laptop with IBM
hard disk (40Gb).
Yesterday after it hangs I had to turn power off to reboot it. When I
turned it on again
just in booting step, when routing daemons are often starting I have got
report
about hard read error on disk, fortunatly at last it has been booted.
Normally this
error means, that hard disk is unreadable in some place, so I tested
surface of my disk
and haven't found any read error. Then I simply made new file system on
root slice
(error appeared on / slice) and reinstalled all stuff. And now
everything works fine again.
But I still cannot understand why kernel reported about hardware error
on disk if
it was only a problem of filesystem. What's wrong?

--
Igor