Date:      Thu, 13 Jun 2002 18:25:03 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
To:        wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman), cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Source Code Control System

> From: wollman@lcs.mit.edu (Garrett Wollman)
> Date: Thu 13 Jun, 2002
> Subject: Re: The Source Code Control System

> >maybe because they are required by SUSV3 :
> >
> >	http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/utilities/
>
> Irrelevant.
>
> The Standard does not care how the utilities are packaged, only that
> someone installing the operating system gets them if she asks.

I agree that this doesn't need to be a core part of FreeBSD.  On the
other hand I feel it warrants being better integrated than a port,
for both historical and standards reasons.

That's to say, if it's installed, I'd like it to use the BSD makefiles
and live in /usr/bin.  Also, I believe that certain standards-related
components like this warrant being supported by the project (albeit as
contrib material), and we do have a committer behind this one.

Currently, doing this requires that it go in the base system, but once
we've cracked the packaging of the base system I'd see it as a sub-package
of an optional XSI Extensions package, which probably wouldn't even be in
the default "BSD" package bundle.

If we could live with it being in the base system for now, but not have
people rely on it being there by default in future, importing it into
contrib wouldn't be too painful, would it?

		Cheers,

		Mark.

--
Mark Valentine, Thuvia Labs <mark@thuvia.co.uk>       <http://www.thuvia.co.uk>;
"Tigers will do ANYTHING for a tuna fish sandwich."       Mark Valentine uses