Date:      Tue, 21 Oct 1997 01:41:28 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, j@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lockmgr panic

> > >Speaking of bandaids, would anybody mind me committing Mr. KATO's
> > >fix/hack?  (Of course, unless he's going to commit it himself.)  The
> > >patch seems to solve the vn(4) lockmgr problem.
> >
> >  I think it substitutes panics with deadlock possibilities.  Perhaps
> >  the deadlocks are rare.
>
> Nope.  Easy to do.  Sometimes during boot.  There is a timong or hardware
> component to this, as we see it in the manufacturing lab;  Same disk, same
> install, replace a motherboard and its gone.

The patch affects only the vnconfig'ed devices.

I have a hard time believing even someone as talentd as you could boot
off of one of these things... ;-).

There *are* deadlock conditions having to do with lockmgr races, but
they are extremely unlikely.  Are oyu perhaps mixing SCSI and IDE
drives to trigger the problem you are seeing?  Or one very fast
and one very slow SCSI drive?  Or multiple SCSI controllers, etc.?

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.