Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:54:09 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        spen <renas13@yahoo.com>
Cc:        Ken Stevenson <ken@allenmyland.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smb startup

spen wrote:

>thank you very much for the suggestion.
>I checked my dmesg -a and I came up with these errors concerning samba:
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>Starting SAMBA: removing stale tdbs :
>Starting nmbd.
>/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
>Shared object "libintl.so.6" not found, required by "libpopt.so.0"
>
>Starting smbd.
>/libexec/ld-elf.so.1:
>Shared object "libintl.so.6" not found, required by "libpopt.so.0"
>
>ELF ldconfig path: /lib /usr/lib /usr/lib/compat /usr/local/lib
>a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>so I acted :
>
>avid# locate libintl.so.6
>/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6
>avid# cp /usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6 /usr/lib/libintl.so.6
>avid# reboot
>
>and smb started normally...
>so I guess --read the errors--!!
>but, why didn't it find the "/usr/local/lib/libintl.so.6" and
>had to be copied to "/usr/lib" ??

To quote from your original post:

"I have recently setted up fBSD 6.0 stable and installed + configured samba 3, which works fine...up to the point of a restart."

So, you installed from source, or from the ports/packages system?
It reads like you installed from source, to me.

If you installed from source, I would expect that you forgot to
tell the configure script where the libraries were, or it was too
dumb to find them; if you had used ports/packages, it would have been
handled automagically for you (which is the reason to use said system
in the first place).

If you did indeed install from ports/packages, it would be good
to know, because something *might* be broken.  But, I *strongly*
suspect that it's simply a misconfiguration, unfortunately, on
your part --- you installed from source and missed setting the
proper location for libs, which, on FreeBSD, is /usr/local/lib
for this internationalization lib...

At least it's working now, right?  Good catch of the problem!

Kevin Kinsey

--
	WARNING TO ALL PERSONNEL:

Firings will continue until morale improves.