Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:02:29 +0200
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Software raid 1 on root partition?

Excuse me if I step in here...

Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> The trick is to load a kernel with software RAID support even
> before you have a root filesystem with your kernel and modules
> on it. :)  This is not different between Linux and FreeBSD.
> Putting everything you need to boot into a ramdisk and loading
> it with your favourite boot manager is the solution.

Ahm... where's the beef? I.e. where does this RAM-Disk Image come from?

It's safe to *read* from one of the two disks, but what I don't
understand is:

Asume there are 4 disks: disk #1+#3 are RAID1 for -STABLE, disk #2+#4
are for -current. I want to boot -stable, so I try to load the RAM-Disk
Image from disk #1 - but it's crashed. How do I know what disk to use
next?

Please answer per Mail too, I'm reading this list via docs.freebsd.org
--
Ciao/BSD - Matthias

Matthias Schuendehuette	<msch [at] snafu.de>, Berlin (Germany)