Date:      Fri, 09 Sep 2005 11:43:52 +0400
From:      Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@sw.ru>
To:        emulation@freebsd.org
Cc:        Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bad dependance on -> linux_base while upgrade

=F7 =DE=D4, 08/09/2005 =D7 18:50 +0200, Alexander Leidinger =D0=C9=DB=C5=D4=
:
> On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 11:04:03 +0200
> Marcin Jessa <lists@yazzy.org> wrote:
>=20
> F'up to emulation please...
>=20
> > Hi Vladimir, guys.
> >=20
> > I've had the same problem.=20
> > The only way I could use newer linux base than 7.3 was using OVERRIDE_L=
INUX_BASE_PORT=3D8 in make.conf
> > I tried using suse port as well with the same result/problems as you're=
 facing.
>=20
> There's no autodetection of the used linux_base version. We have a
> default linux_base and everything is supposed to work with only this
> version. Everything else is pure luck (or good "upward-compatibility"
> of the linux ports, but this isn't required).

Probably we should register same dependence as we check ?
I mean we check existence of /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release as
dependence,=20
Then check related port:
# pkg_which /compat/linux/etc/redhat-release=20
linux_base-rh-9
#
And then register valid dependence.

> If you want to use another linux_base, you have to use
> OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT in make.conf.

Ok

> Now that we talked about the current policy, the strange part above is,
> that you have to specify v8 in the override. This is *very* strange.
> Please make sure you have the latest /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk.

Actually I want to have rh9 to run some linux software, and it works
only with rh9 base. And I want to get working other linux software (like
flash plugins).

> > On Thu, 08 Sep 2005 12:50:30 +0400
> > Vladimir Grebenschikov <vova@sw.ru> wrote:
> >=20
> > > Hi all
> > >=20
> > > After upgrade almost any linux* port I have same problem - dependence=
 is
> > > broken.
> > >=20
> > > I have WITH_LINUX=3Drh-9 in my make.conf and all linux-* port built w=
ith
> > > this define, but they all install dependence to not existed
> > > linux_base-8-8.0_6.
>=20
> WITH_LINUX is wrong. It was usable for a moment in time, but is wasn't
> done properly (since it changed the meaning of the former usage of it).
> For this reason I introduced OVERRIDE_LINUX_BASE_PORT. It's used like
> you do it with WITH_LINUX.
>=20
> Bye,
> Alexander.