Date:      Sat, 02 Nov 1996 16:23:36 -0700
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        "Jay Johnson" <nsx@allinet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Question

> 2.0.23, and for some reason our servers are limited to 254 connections. We
> tell the server software to go to 500 and linux gives back an error saying
> hardconfiged 254 connections. Change your server software back to 254.  I

   You can probably hack this, but it won't be really easy to do.  I did it
once under 1.2.13, but I don't know how you'd do it to 2.0.x - a lot
of the include files have changed.  As I recall, it took 2 or 3 changes to
various header files to make it work properly, and then a lot of recompilation.

> have talked to alot of people about this and they say linux won't do it, I
> was wondering if FreeBSD would ?  I know ftp.cdrom.com has 1200 but not
> sure if ftp is the same kinda connection as what im dealing with.  I will

   Yes.  We have our max connections on our IRC box set to 1200 + 100
local customers, and we hit 1220 for about an hour during the day.  It
handles it perfectly.  (Our IRC admins say it's the best box they've
ever dealt with for handling IRC).

   The only thing you'll really have to do is increase MAXUSERS
in your kernel config file, and give the machine as many NMBCLUSTERS as
you think you'll need.  8,192 seems to work well for us (it gobbles some
memory, but ..)

>From the kernel config file:

machine         "i386"
cpu             "I586_CPU"
ident           WIBBLE
maxusers        64

options         "NMBCLUSTERS=10240"	# More network mbuf clusters

One other thing we do on our IRC box that you might want to consider -
we compile in IP firewalling and block off most of the IRC server to
the world.  With a machine that spends its eye in the public so much,
it saves us a lot of potential headaches.  IP firewalling under
FreeBSD is relatively quick to configure.. use if if you switch
over to FreeBSD.

> probably get freebsd and try it out on another server before taking down
> our irc server.  I have heard that FreeBSD is alot more powerful than Linux
> anyway. How does it compare to BSDI or SCO Unix? Anyway any information
> about this would be greatly apreciated. Thanks

   Can't help too much there.  Sorry. :)  We're an all-FreeBSD shop now
that we've migrated our machines from Linux.  Best move we ever made. :)

   -Dave