Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 13:20:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Don Yuniskis <dgy@rtd.com>
To:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Maintainer of ft/lft

> > > Do I need to go into the whole "VHS sucks, but it still won over Beta"
> > > discussion again?
> >
> > QIC is QIC...  interchangable...  interoperable...  do you have the
> > standards documents?  i do...
>
> Are these sufficient to write a driver that works with all QIC-117
> drives?

I *think* so.  I have a slew of QIC standards here since I was looking into
this ages ago -- but opted to buy DLT instead and, thus, haven't had a
"burning desire" to develop code for hardware that I don't *have*!  :>

> If so, I withdrawl the aspersion, and would be *very* happy to know
> where you got the documentation.  I would probably even be willing
> to work on a driver for the IOmega tape drive, if you have a source
> for the technical documents not under non-disclosure; seeing as it's
> also QIC-117 and they are standard, it should be easy to write with
> QIC-117 documentation available.

The standards are "free for the asking".  I'll dig up the contact
address if you'd like.

Biggest problem with the QIC stuff is that there are too many
"standards".  Also, it has to cooperate with the ft driver and
allowing them to be active concurrently is a nuisance (though
I think desirable).

--don