Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 03:49:12 +0300
From:      dk@clipper.cs.kiev.ua (Dmitry Kohmanyuk)
To:        cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov (Chris Shenton)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non Intel x86 support?

In article <inj.3-316ecb5d-65f3@bee.cs.kiev.ua> you wrote:
: On Fri, 12 Apr 1996 00:44:07 -0700 (PDT)
: "/\\/\\ike Claussen" <claussen@darkwing.uoregon.edu> wrote:

: claussen> Does FreeBSD support non Intel x86 chips?  ie: Cyrix/AMD?
: claussen> Are there any problems with such chips?

: I'm using it quite happily (and cost-effectively :-) with an AMD 486-100.
: Runs as fast on that as it does on the Genuine Intel P60 I have at work.

My AMD-133 running at tripled 40MHz clock does very fine at work,
as well as NexGen P90 in other machine (btw: NexGen mb+CPU is selling for $185
here - seems to be cheap, although I haven't got as much of performance
as I have expected.  CPU benchmarks pointers, anyone?).
I have no Intel CPU on all of my 7 PC boxes ;-)

Don't know anything about Cyrix.  Also, can someone comment on M1 or K5?

p.s. overclocking AMD133 to 4*40 or even 3*50 does even better, although
you have to find the right motherboard to do it and PCI cards working
at this speed (40Mhz is usually no problem, but my lovely NCR doesn't
do at 50 in one SiS mb - other (UMC) ok).    Sometimes you can just set
CPU to P24D, or maybe you have to invent your own jumper setting.
And yes, it is worth the effort - the performance is _greatly_ improved.
Stability - I haven't got any problems so far.