Date:      Mon, 04 Nov 2002 19:57:12 +0000
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Lefteris Tsintjelis <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
Cc:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail with SASLv2 starts before saslauthd

Lefteris Tsintjelis wrote:

> "Scot W. Hetzel" wrote:
> >
> > From: "Lefteris Tsintjelis" <lefty@ene.asda.gr>
> > > When building world in 4.7-stable with sendmail and SASLv2 support,
> > > sendmail complains that there is no SASL running. Problem is that
> > > sendmail starts before saslauthd. Is there a proper way of starting
> > > saslauthd before sendmail starts?
> > >
> > No, you'll need to patch /etc/rc.sendmail and then remove
> > ${prefix}/etc/rc.d/saslauthd.sh.

Maybe you cannot start saslauthd before sendmail, but you
certainly can start sendmail after saslauthd.

/etc/rc.sendmail was designed to be compatible with
usage from ${local_startup}

So, disable sendmail startup by setting

mta_start_script=""

in /etc/rc.conf

copy /etc/rc.sendmail to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/whatever.sh

and that's all she wrote.

> > In 5.0-CURRENT with/RC_NG all you'll need to do is move
> > ${prefix}/etc/rc.d/saslauthd.sh to /etc/rc.d/saslauthd to have saslauthd
> > start before sendmail (see PR 43673 for RC_NG patch for
> > security/cyrus-sasl2).
> >
> > Scot
> >
> > PS: Attached is an untested patch for rc.sendmail
>
> Thank you Scott. The patch worked out good. It has a problem with
> stoping though. It doesn't completly stop sendmail. I'll try and figure
> that out.

ian j hart

Quoth the raven, bite me!
	Salem Saberhagen (Episode LXXXI: The Phantom Menace)