Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 2004 10:45:20 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        borg <bsd_mailing@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BIND9 REPLACE BASE BIND8

On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 21:53:28 -0700 (PDT), borg <bsd_mailing@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> --- Joshua Lewis <jmlewis@dslextreme.com> wrote:
>
> > I have been having been having some issues with BIND
> > that have been
> > driving me up the wall. I believe I may have located
> > the problem. I
> > believe I had both BIND8 and BIND9 installed on the
> > same system. So I am
> > reinstalling from the ports collection and
> > overwriting BIND8 completely.
> > I wish to avoid this issue in the future. I found
> > this in a how to
> > online and was wondering if it is accurate.
> That's a very common confusion. Usually after
> installing Bind9 from the ports "named -v" gives you
> the 8.x version. A fast and dirty method to override
> the old Bind8 with Bind9 tools and file:
>
> cd /usr/ports/net/bind9
> make install clean
> ln -fs /usr/local/bin/dig /usr/bin/dig
> ln -fs /usr/local/bin/host /usr/bin/host
> ln -fs /usr/local/bin/nslookup /usr/sbin/nslookup
> ln -fs /usr/local/bin/nsupdate /usr/sbin/nsupdate
> ln -fs /usr/local/sbin/named /usr/sbin/named
> ln -fs /etc/namedb/named.conf /usr/local/etc/named.conf

A perhaps quicker/cleaner way to overwrite the base BIND is to do the
following:

     cd /usr/ports/dns/bind9
     make PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9=yes install clean

Or, you can append 'PORT_REPLACES_BASE_BIND9=yes' to your /etc/make.conf
file before you build and install the port.

Cheers,

Paul.
--
e-mail: paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu