Date:      Wed, 7 Jun 2000 18:56:46 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Rasmus Skaarup <rasmus@gal.dk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MAC address

Hi,

I found a tool to change the MAC of a NIC:

http://www.freebsd.org/~wpaul/mac.tar.gz

I wanted to bypass a nasty "feature" in the Intel NIC on some Compaq
systems, which demand that you use the Compaq driver for Win32 systems.

Unfortunately, my FreeBSD 4.0 system core dumps when running the tool
like so:

$ ./setmac fxp0 ef:ef:ef:ef:ef:ef
Bad system call (core dumped)
$

Maybe my syntax is wrong, I don't know, I can't find any
documentation.. The tool was apparently written for FreeBSD, but I
don't know which version. Can you help me with this, or otherwise help me
change the MAC address of my NIC?

Thank you.

Best regards
Rasmus