Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2009 18:41:38 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
To:        Geoff Roberts <geoff@apro.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Configuring VLANs - Why is IP address require on NIC connected to Trunk?

> done using ifconfig_em0_name="ext0" in rc.conf.
>
> I find I have to give the ext0 interface an IP address in order for routing
> and packet filtering to work on the attached VLANs.

You have to set up IP address to vlans, not main interface. It's the way
vlan's work.

Having 2 vlan's is like having 2 ethernet cards, while physically having
one. switch is responsible to segregate your traffic and connect one
"virtual ethernet" to right clients, and second to other clients - exactly
how you configured switch.