Date:      Fri, 23 Jan 1998 10:44:47 -0500
From:      Dan Swartzendruber <dswartz@druber.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   process hanging?

I have been running INN 1.7.2 (the prepatched version  inn-1.7.2.insync-1.1d).
It had been running fine.  The kernel is 2.2.5, running on a PII-300 with two
adaptec UW controllers, using ccd0 for the news spool (multiple UW disks).
The problem I am seeing is that for the last couple of days, the nightly
expiration run is not completing.  When I log in to the server and do 'ps
axl',
I see the primary expire process in state 'D', with wchan 'getblk'.  This is
during the building of the expire.rm file (the list of files to expire).  It
is not totally hung, since this file does grow (albeit glacially slowly).  I
can kill the process, and everything then finishes up fairly quickly.  What is
weird is that if I then re-run the expiration script manually, everything
seems
to work okay.  Any ideas?

---
Swartzendruber Consulting, Inc.