Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 07:31:16 -0500 (CDT)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu (Doug White)
Cc:        tpalmer@riverdale.edu, Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 2940 & 1542

In a previous message, Doug White said:

> >         Why 2 SCSI cards indeed - the only reason is the 2940 has only the
> > 68(?) pin wide SCSI external connector, and I figured a free 1542 would be
> > cheaper than a cable to make the connector transition to DB25 or
> > centronics-type devices. This machine is running other operating systems,
> > and I like my Zip drive. This connector thing is rather silly, really.
>
> Huh.  I don't claim to be a SCSI expert either, especially on new hardware.

Are you sure the 2940 has a 68 pin and not a SCSI-2 50 pin? If it's a 50
pin, then a Iomega Zip should work with a simple cable, that wouldn't
be too expensive. If it's 2940W then that's a SCSI-3 device, which I think
UltraWide is another name for. SCSI-3 is supposed to be backward compatible
with SCSI-2. The cable could be expensive.

> >         I have to say that I remain confused about the various SCSI
> > variants - my hard drive is a Seagate 32550, which Seagate calls fast/wide.
> > Where does UltraWide fit in?
>
> I would have no clue.

Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

A skydiver is taken by the gravity of his situation.