Date:      Tue, 03 Jul 2001 16:23:59 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Nikolaus Hiebaum <h9400395@miraculix.wu-wien.ac.at>
Cc:        Christoph Sold <so@server.ms-agentur.de>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minmum installation

Nikolaus Hiebaum schrieb:

> On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Christoph Sold wrote:
>
> > > How do I achieve a minumum installtion not exceeding 100MB HDD space
> > > *including* X-Windows? Which "packages" do I need to choose?
> >
> > Having a 100MB X system is almost impossible. I'd recommend at least
> > 64MB RAM for any X Server, and at least double that number for swap
> > space. That's 128MB swap, without any binary. Buy another small disk.
> > Disk space is cheap.
>
> I have a 486, 8 MB RAM, 250 MB HDD Notebook. I managed to do an
> installation occupying around 70% of my HDD. Unfortunately, FreeBSD does
> not have a nifty de-installation manager for packages I added. Thus, how
> can I conventiently de-install anything I don't like anymore?

Um, don't expect this to work nicely.
First, pkg_version -aI lists all installed packages. pkg_delete <package
name> deletes the package. Distribution sets (from /stand/sysinstall)
cannot be removed easily. I'd scan the file system for stuff you sure
never want to see again. To locate space hogs, du -k / | sort -n , then
decide which piece you never want to see again.

HTH
-Christoph Sold