Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 19:32:21 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        "d_f0rce" <d_f0rce@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, ewinter@lobo.muc.de
Subject:   Re: T-DSL & PPPoE

"d_f0rce" writes:
> Hello,
>
> i'll write this message in german because it affects german users
> only and I'm mutch better in writing german than english.
>
> -----------------------------------
>
> Hallo,
>
> in den naechsten Tagen wird mein T-DSL-Anschluss endlich freigeschaltet.
> Hat einer von euch schon Erfahrung mit dem PPPoE und T-DSL?
>
> Gibt's irgendwelche Probleme oder etwas das ich beachten muss?
> Unter Windows scheint's ja ziemlich uebel auszusehen. Wie schlaegt
> sich die FreeBSD Implementierung von PPPoE?
>

> Gruss,
> Alex
>
> PS: Bitte schickt mir euere Antworten direkt, da ich nicht auf
> der questions Liste eingeschrieben bin.

I'll answer in English since this is an international list.

First you have to be running a version of FBSD which has the ng_pppoe
stuff in it. I think >= 4.0R will do, but I'm not sure since I always run
-current. I have ``options NETGRAPH'' in my kernel config file. The kernel
will automagically load any required modules for you.

Secondly, since you'll be running ppp, you have to make certain that
your kernel has a tun device in it. Syntax depends on which version
you're running, see GENERIC, LINT or NOTES.

Next you need a NIC dedicated to the DSL modem. Don't try to use a hub
or switch. The modem doesn't have an IP address and the hub/switch won't
be able to send the packets to it. Also make sure that you use the cable
provided by the Telekom ! Using a cable with 8 leads can screw up the
modem so that it's no longer usable.

You have to ``ifconfig up'' the NIC, that's it. No need to assign an
IP address to it, ppp doesn't care. I do it in /etc/rc.local.

The real trick is setting up the authname in /etc/ppp/ppp.conf using the
screwy values the Telekom gives you. This was the hardest part for me
in getting it all to work.

Here's a fragment from my ppp.conf as an example:

default:
 set accmap 0xffffffff
 allow users

pppoe:
 set device PPPoE:ed0 <-- replace ed0 with whatever NIC you have
 set mode interactive
 set enddisc mac
 accept pap
 set reconnect 30 2
 set mru 1492
 set mtu 1492
 set speed sync
 set cd
 set dial
 set authname <Anschlusskennung><T-Online-Nr>\#0001@t-online.de
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ concatenate without < and >
 set authkey  Kennwort
#set log local Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP
 set log Phase Chat LCP IPCP CCP
 # Ask the peer what to put in resolv.conf
#enable dns <-- use this if you want ppp to set /etc/resolv.conf
 # Take a wild guess and let the other side decide
 set ifaddr 172.16.0.1/0 212.0.0.0/0
 add! default HISADDR

Anschlusskennung, T-Online-Nr and Kennwort are as provided by the Telekom.

I use this from the commandline with ``ppp pppoe''. I dial and close
the connection manually. You can get fancier, read the ppp manpage.

----
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de gj@freebsd.org